Saturday, December 12, 2009

Fair Winning Sugar Cookies Analogy

Hey am I getting some mileage out of these sugar cookies or what? :)
Actually, If you watched the video below, you saw grandma, as the shaper, rolling the cookie dough around in her hands, and then passing the job on down the production line to the granddaughter, who was the official cookie-cutter.
Pause right there, come on back and give me your attention; Keep that visual picture on a post-it somewhere up there in your mind and follow me.

During our bible study this morning my wife and I tried something a little different. We both read from the same passage, wrote down our thoughts, and at the end decided after a few sips of Joe that we wanted to hear what eachother wrote.

Kari's journal was very gathered with pieced together tidbits of information from different commentaries and study notes, culling everything she'd learned into a finished cut of the knowledge she'd gleaned.

My journal was completely different. In her words, it's as if I'm writing a devotional to publish. There's the verse, and then what it means to me, how it relates to life experience, where it applies in this day.

I started laughing because it dawned on me that, just like in the video, in the body of Christ there are such different hands and feet, intended for very different purposes. I'm at the kitchen counter, pulling a giant lump of dough from the batch, forming that abstract into something manageable. A well rounded little ball of a story emerges...It may not be pretty, but it's just the right size for you to work with on your own, on your end of the line.
My wife is the cutter. She takes all of that knowledge, rolls it all flat and uniform, places her cookie-cutter just where she thinks it will make the best, most efficient punch through the dough, and then she presses out the information into this nicely patterned image. It's a finished product. It's unique to her, just like mine is original to me, and yet it's the same dough, just packaged differently for each of us. That's the living word of God.

But then came the best part. When we put the two together, we had an amazing study, together.

I highly recommend you try it. Make some philosophical cookies with your better half today and see if you like the taste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home