Thursday, December 01, 2005

Ahhh... December


This is a special time of year for me.
Always busy, of course. But oddly enough, something happens in my life almost annually this time of year. Something that marks a shift in the course. It's always interesting to discover. Could be also that I'm not walking around with the wool over my eyes as usual. Instead I'm watchful, alert, looking for it. Maybe it's there all along, and I just don't take the time.

Kari and I were reading (<---- That's Kari by the way) in a devotion through Romans 12. There's a great verse there...
'Do not be conformed to this world, but continually be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you may be able to determine what God's will is-what is proper, pleasing, and perfect. '
(Romans 12:2)

Right away after reading that I began to make a table (i have to see it in my mind).
I put every hour of the day from morning to night.
Okay, so the big things have to be first.
Time studying God's word....got it.
Time for family....check.
Time for school....yep.
Okay....what else? We're only at 10 am....
Well, what else do I do during the day, normally?
Work. And then more work. And usually then more work after that...
Hmmm. That means already I'm spending about 85% of my day at work, 10% of my day with my family and certainly less than 5% in devotion.

Already my plan was foiled.
I have to work less, spend more time with the kids, more time in devotion.
But what about paying the bills?
But what about the days when we have shoots that run late, or Saturdays when we just leave a reception at 9 pm after a full 8 hours? What then? When the world happens?

Right away I began to get disappointed. The work will never end, the busy-ness isn't just going to go away. I can't turn away clients after 5 pm....'Sorry folks, It's time for my family, 'Can't afford to feed them, but I can sure spend my time with them!'....yeah right.

I started scribbling. Stupid plan...

That's when my wife said,
'No, no. I think you've got it all wrong. You're sitting here trying to fit God into your day, and it doesn't even work that way. God doesn't see your day like this, with little blocks of time and bar charts... He sees you, not where and when you spent your time, but what you did with it. Whatever you're doing, honey, you just do it for Him. 'The renewing of your mind.''

Isn't she so smart? Much more than me I've surmised.

I'm trying so hard to fit God into my day, when really I need only to fit my day for God.

Something else I've learned. She needs to be heard. She has a voice, and she desires reason. Too often I'm present but not accounted for. I'm there hearing her, but I'm not listening with the right heart. She has such a beautiful way of putting things, such a beautiful mind, and she could save me so much time if I'd just pay attention.
Now, this blog is supposed to be for business. I'm getting a little carried away with the personal notes these days.... chalk it up to the Holiday, the Christmas Season. There's plenty of time for work, right?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well...I have to say that I wasn't prepared to see myself on your blog. I visit often and love to see how you view the world. You are such an inspiration to me. You are my rock here on earth that God has purposefully placed in my life.

The holidays have such a special place in my heart, and through the years my perspective of what Christmas is and means has been completely transformed. "Tis the season of giving" is indeed what it's all about. But who are we giving to? Yes, I LOVE to give gifts to my kids, and friends and family (and you too honey until you start snooping throughout the entire house for gifts with your name on them), but what do we give back to our Lord? After all, He sent his son...for us, who suffered and died....for us! We should be filled with the desire to give back with thankful hearts, especially during the season of giving. Now, for Christmas, I do want our gifts to reflect the love of Christ (instead of the love for things). Our country is so richly blessed that it is sometimes difficult for me to understand how we could possibly want more, yet I fall into the same trap. One day I am completely content with everything I have....then the next thing you know, I HAVE to redecorate my house or have a new outfit for all the weddings we go to. The solution? I can only say that if we do truly SEE Christ, we will be humbled, thankful, content, and at peace with all He has given us.

Huh, I was only going to write a couple sentences. I guess I really do want to be heard. :)

Love you, honey!

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home