Friday, May 13, 2011

Living Life Less-Than


This report came out today, in an effort to keep light on a problem that's once again largely ignored by the world, Slavery.

The girl we sponsor in Haiti is also a child slave, a restavek.

The modern day equivalent to a house servant.

What I've yet to understand is the perspective, the rationalization.

It's considered normal, common practice. I've even met a pastor who I'm told has a restavek. A Christian.

So where does this line become blurry?

Where did we lose the love that Jesus taught?

You want a roof over your head? You want to live? Then you do anything and everything I tell you. You'll be lucky to sleep on my floor. You might eat if we have anything left over. You will not be on the same par as the family...you will be less-than.

For them, it comes down to the ultimate, basic choice in life.

Do you want to survive or not?

“I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.“And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea." ~ Jesus Christ.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

I remember seeing a special on these children years ago.. long before the earthquake. It still breaks my heart to think about it.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home