Thursday, January 26, 2006

In the Silence

Have you ever been driving down a road, confident in your travels, sure of your direction, on auto-pilot with the cruise control and the wind in your hair on a nice sunny day, only to suddenly have the dawning realization that you've made a wrong turn?
You have no idea how far back you've left what you know is right, or when the right road became the wrong decision.

Well, that's my January.
Hello 2006, nice to meet ya. I seem to have learned nothing in my last year on this Earth as to obeying the careful instruction of my Maker and heeding the word of God, so let's have another helping of foolishness, shall we?

In the words of Oliver Twist:
"Please Sir, I want some more."
Does anybody remember what happened after he had the guts to say that? Wasn't it followed by pure chaos?

This month God tried to speak to me about His plans, and somehow, I just didn't seem to pay any attention.

"See God, the studio flooded, we renovated, the name-change happened, and then the upcoming wedding show became a good idea, to get the new name out there. In short, for 3 solid weeks I've pushed every envelope to ramp up to preparedness. Or atleast the idea of it. I just haven't had any time. I've been planning.....see?.....God? Hello?"

Nothing wrong with that, right? It was just busy, that's all.
That's exactly it. That IS..all. God wasn't in my equation. My busy-ness was it.
Family even took a back seat in the midst of it all.
When did that become a good idea?

"Wait a minute! What road is this?
Where the heck am I?
This doesn't look right.
Go ask that guy for directions, would you honey?" :)


I wanted to help revive the sermon ministry in our church, and instead spent every dime on albums and new media and cards and......busy-ness stuff.
I was asked to go on a mission trip to New Orleans, and turned it down because I had to get ready for the big show.

I forgot about the really Big Show. The best laid plans....how's that go? Oh yeah, NOW I remember.
The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry...

Does this seem like one of the more silly blog posts to you?
I'm sorry, it's because I'm trying to find my way back. And that can be a little confusing.

This much I know:

Ever watch your toddler squirming late at night, like they've got ants in their pants, and it's time for bed? You're thinking exactly what God must be thinking.

"Be Still, Child."

In the silence is His whisper. His peace and understanding lies inside that stillness.

I think I need practice...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for speaking to my heart today. I love ALL you do...even the foolish decisions. We would never learn a thing if we never made mistakes. God loves you and so do I. :)

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home